The academic program at The Independence Academy is designed to prepare students for all aspects of life beyond graduation — it is challenging, fun and active.
The Independence Academy is a child-centered institution dedicated to delivering a comprehensive, progressive, multi-faceted education for high-functioning students on the autism spectrum. Our educational philosophy includes principles of:
- Creating a learning community in which students feel accepted and understood.
- Focusing on student engagement and teaching the whole child by incorporating life and social skills in addition to academic developmentally appropriate manner.
- Employing deep, authentic teaching practices that are inclusive of student interests.
- Integrating multiple disciplines into lessons and learning programs.
- Emphasizing the arts through classroom integration.
- Assessing growth by tracking individual student goals and progress.
- Promoting acceptance of self and others while honoring our differences and uniqueness in an inclusive, caring environment.
- Building a love of learning and a sense of independence and strength within students.
We believe that homework should be manageable for our students. While homework is a part of IA's curriculum, emphasis is placed on creating a reasonable workload. Furthermore, we strive to be respectful of cherished family time.
In preparing students for further education and careers, regular technology use is integrated into the school day. Students have access to Microsoft tablets and iPads in each classroom, adaptive and dynamic online programs, and a central computer lab.
REPORTS + CONFERENCES
Parents can access their student’s grades online at their convenience by logging into their Jupiter account. Please contact the main office office if you need assistance logging in.
Student report cards are distributed at the end of each quarter. Parent-teacher conferences are held twice a year with additional conferences scheduled as needed.
100 to 93%
92 to 90%
89 to 87%
86 to 83%
82 to 80%
79 to 77%
76 to 73%
72 to 70%
69 to 67%
66 to 63%
62 to 60%
59 to 0%